Applications for the 2020-2021 Cohort are being accepted!
Thank you for your interest in applying to our program.
Please contact our office should you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you!
We will begin taking applications for the cohort for the year 2020-2021 cohort in October 2019. Application forms are in pdf formatting and are fillable forms. Completed applications are due December 1st.
Application Process Timeline
- Completed applications are due by December 1st and are then reviewed by the SDA Program Admissions Committee in December and January
- The first round of virtual interviews are conducted late January and February
- Applicants making it into the second round interviews are asked to complete
- App State application for Undergraduate Non Degree Seeking students via the Admissions page.
- Qualified applicants and their families are invited to ASU for an overnight visit, assessment, and an interview in March.
- Applicants are selected by mid-April. Letters are sent out by the university notifying applicants.
- Applicants must accept or deny admission by May 1st.
Note: Applicants are encouraged to reapply subsequent years if they are not initially accepted. Applicants may also be placed on a waitlist.
Requirements for Admission to the SDAP program
- Must be between 18 to 26 years of age at the time of admission
- Must have documentation implicating intellectual disability
- Enrolled in or has completed an occupational course of study (OCS) or similar diploma or certificate program
- Should have defined academic, career, and personal goals
- Must have an effective way of communicating
- Must have healthy social interaction skills
- Abililty to manage personal hygiene and medication needs
- A sense of emotional well being and willingness to try new things
While the SDAP program aims to provide an academic, social, and career training experience to individuals with intellectual disabilities at ASU, our program may not be able to accommodate all of your needs, particularly if they are behavioral or emotional and impede learning or social development. In addition, the SDAP program cannot be responsible for medication management. Please contact the SDAP program prior to applying if you have any questions or concerns.
Please send all of the materials listed below in one packet to SDAP, PO Box 32179, 151 College Street, Boone, NC 28608.
1. Information Forms:
2. Letter of Intent:
4. Recommendation Forms
5. Two most recent IEPs
6. Most recent re-evaluation including Psychological and Adaptive Behavior Assessment (such as the Vineland)
7. Official High School Transcripts (if you have not yet graduated send a copy of your most current transcript)
Other Optional Documents:
- Portfolio of Work Samples
- Documentation from Vocational Rehabilitation